Wednesday 5 September 2012

No one can resist a nice warm hug!


     I enjoy hugging others, I would hug the people around me whenever there is a chance.

     No, I'm not a hugaholic; I just like the warm feelings of hugging others and being hugged.

     Unlike the Western countries where hugging is a normal gesture,  living in the other part of the world, hugging is not something common in the society I'm living in.

     Being a Chinese growing up in a traditional family, hugging is not a common practice in my family; when it comes to love expression, we are reserved, we don't tell, but show it by action.

     However, my perception changed when I ventured out from home, to the world. 

     Seeing and experiencing hugging myself, opens up my mind; I enjoy the good feelings from hugging, be it a friendly hug, or an affectionate hug.

     Then, I started to practice it in my life, in the society I'm living in. Initially, it's kinda hard for me and also the people around me (as they are not used to it). There were some awkward and funny moments, but as time goes by and I continue to do it, wonderful things happen!


     "Can I hug you?"

      Vanessa is my close friend for more than 14 years, but I never hug her. Being Asians, we are more reserved in this; as much as I feel like giving her a hug, but I never did simply because I scared she couldn't accept it.

     One day, before we waved good bye at each other after our meet up, I had an impulse of hugging her; not wanting to hold it any longer, the question blurted out from my mouth: "Can I hug you?"

     Then, it was a good moment of silence between us, and the situation is kinda...awkward!

     "OK." she nodded her head after a while.

     So, I spread my arms and gave her a hug. It was a quick one because I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable. "Good bye and take care!" I waved at her after the hug.

     On the way back, a smile blossomed on my face, for the awkward yet funny moment ~ I have just hugged my best friend, although I need to ask for her permission!



     No one can resist a nice warm hug!

     Last week, I met Vanessa again for afternoon tea.

     When we bid each other goodbye in the mall, I spread my arms, expecting to give her a hug. To my surprise, instead of hugging me, she gave me a handshake and said: "I don't think I can hug you here."

     My arms were rushed to empty, don't know how to react, then to my surprise again, she gave me a hug, "Good bye and take care," she said.

     A smile blossomed on my face again (and on hers too). 

     Not long after, I received a text message from her...Initially, I thought it would be awkward to hug you in the public, but in reality, it feels good.

     I replied... Yes, no one can resist a nice warm hug! :-)

      That was our second hug to complement our friendship of more than 14 years, the feeling? Superb! And I believe there will be more hugging for us in future.



     Mama ~ how I wish I could hug you tight, for one more time...

 
     I used to hug my mom when I was a little girl, but as I grew up, I stopped hugging her (without any reason), and the hugging disappeared between us.

     On one of my trip going back hometown, I took a good look at her and I noticed aging had left ruthless trace on her face. The fact is, I couldn't even recall when was the last time I hug my mom (most probably when I was 7 or 8). Suddenly, I felt a deep sorrow in my heart.

     "Why do I stop hugging the person I love the most in this world?"  I asked myself.

     From that day on, I told myself to hug her and show my love to her. 

     However, it was not easy since is has been close to 20 years I never hug her. So, I need to use a little tactic. How? I began by holding her hands and her shoulders, seeing her comfortable with that, I moved another step further by hugging her from the back. I continued to do that over a period of time and finally one day, I gave her a real good hug!

     To my surprise, she liked it very much as I can see the smile on her face, she even hug me back tightly. Perhaps, she has been waiting it for many years from me!

     From then on, I hugged her more and more often, I even took a step further by telling her I love her and kissed her on her cheeks. Initially, she was a bit embarrassed, but she quickly get used to it and enjoyed my love to her.
  
     The bonding between us got closer and closer until she passed away in 2009. 

     After her passing, I felt no regret as we have shared all the best moments while she is still alive.

     If you ask me what do I wish for now, I would say if there is a chance, I wish I could hug my mom for one more time...real tight...and tell her I love her!


     Time waits for no one, hug the people you love NOW! 


     
     Knowing the fact that nothing is permanent and you might lose someone you love anytime, I don't keep my feelings nowadays; I hug the people I love whenever there is a chance, I even hug my sister now (whom I never hug before). She is 15 years my senior and I always felt there is a gap between us. However, it all changed after our first hug, our bonding is getting closer now, and we feel great about it!

     Time is the most cruel thing in life, it waits for no one; if you love someone, please don't keep it, just follow your heart and express your feelings to them, better still if you could give them a hug.

     Believe me, no one can resist a nice warm hug!

      

      

No comments:

Post a Comment