Tuesday 28 August 2012

Nostalgia of A Country Kid 一个乡村孩童的成长记忆

     I was born and grew up in a small town far away from city, and I'm proud of that!

     Now reside in Kuala Lumpur, the heart of Malaysia, I have a balcony facing the jungle, that always makes me feel like home.

      One day, I was at a friend's home playing with his 3-year old daughter. The little girl was preoccupied with his dad's iPhone, when she saw me taking out my phone, she immediately asked me: "Got Angry Bird?"

     My mind was distracted for a few seconds, then I replied her: "No dear, I don't have Angry Bird here."

     She looked a little disappointed with my answer and continue to tap on the iPhone with her forefinger, at a (I would say) super-high speed!

     At that split second, I recalled a joke that I shared with my friends some time ago, "The only bird that children nowadays know, most probably is the Angry Bird!" 


     As much as it sounds like a joke, it is in fact a reality that is happening around us. That reminds me about another real-life incident of mine.

     Once, a friend and her son from city visited me in my hometown. Her son couldn't stop but keep running up and down at the compound surrounding my house, perhaps for a kid living in the bricks and mortar world, the country life is really an eye opener for him. Her mom watched him running happily while sharing her stories with me.

     Suddenly, the boy stopped and yelled at his mother: "Mom, what is that?"

     We looked towards the direction he was pointing to, there stood a handsome rooster and a few hens kept by my mom.

     "Those are the chickens, dear," my friend answered her son.

     "That's the chickens?" he sounded like he couldn't believe what he just saw.

     I burst into laughter, perhaps in his little mind, the only chicken that he knew would be Kentucky Fried Chicken! I bet he has never seen a real chicken (alive and kicking) in his life before!


      While today's children were being bombarded with technology gadgets, all the products that start with an "i"; me being a 70s child, has a more colourful and unforgettable childhood.

     Last week, a friend of mine who live in Penang sent me an MMS (picture message), it was a nice photo showing she and her daughters helping out at her father's rubber estate. "I want them to be close to the nature, I would very much like them to know what hardship is all about!"

     She truly earned my respect, for sure!

     After the Angry Bird incident, I felt an urge to pen down the good memories of my growing up years, allowing the iChildren to have a glimpse on what had took place in the past, and how wonderful it was!

     If you too are a 70s child, I would like to invite you to walk down the memory lane with me, embarking on a nostalgic journey which will never fade from our life; I really hope you like what I'm going to share, I welcome your comments and input to make this series of stories more enjoyable!

     Are you ready? Let the journey begin, shall we?  



No comments:

Post a Comment