Sunday 26 August 2012

Put on your shoes, let's walk!


     I always enjoy walking, I will seek the opportunity to walk whenever there is a chance.

     In the morning, I normally do brisk-walking on the walkway located downstairs of my apartment; on the weekends, I will take a long walk or jog in the park, enjoying the fresh air, listening to the sounds of nature; it feels great sweating after the walk, the releasing of endorphin makes me feel happy, relax and can't hold the smiles on my face!

     Sometimes, I will choose to walk the staircase instead of taking the elevator, or to park my car at a distance away and walk to my destination.

     Living in a big city, I rely heavily on a car to move around; not that I do not want to take the public transportation and do more walking, but the crowd, the waiting time and the inconvenience really sucks!

     I do a lot of walking when I'm on holiday, last week, I accompanied a friend for a short trip to Singapore. He has never been to the country, even with the convenience of its public transportation system, we decided to take a walking tour.

     "This is where we stay, and we will walk from here, to here, then here..." he circled the destinations before we began our journey from the hotel.


     Then, there we were, embarking our journey from Little India, admiring the beautiful Indian temples and colourful life of the Indian community; 

     Buying our return coach tickets at the Golden Mile Complex located on Beach Road;

     Visiting the Malay Heritage Centre and the mosque along Beach Road;

     Witnessed the people praying at the Guan Yin Temple and Sri Krishnan Temple on Bencoolen Street;

     "Let's have our lunch here," he stopped upon seeing the local hawker centre, Kopitiam.

     "Why not?" I said.

     "Oh, I love this, it's really good!" he said while scooping the roasted pork rice into his mouth.

     With a fulfilling stomach, we continued our journey on the Waterloo Street passing by the Singapore Art Museum to Fort Canning Road;

     We spent few hours walking in the Fort Canning Park, taking pictures, talking to people on the road, sat down on a bench and exchange our stories; it was really fun!

     From there, we walked to Clarke Quay and Riverpoint View, taking a rest by the riverside;

     China Town was our next destination packed with the Chinese community;

     From China Town, we took the MRT to Harbour Front, "I wanna experience the subway in Singapore," he said.

     After Harbour Front, we took the MRT back to our hotel, freshen up ourselves for the rest of the day.

     We spent our evening at the Raffles Boulevard watching the sunset, then we walked to Marina Bay Sands, went up to the sky view deck to complete our one day walking trip; admiring the night view of Singapore from the high altitude, sharing a joke or two, making our journey an unforgettable experience!

     The map was badly torn due to the frequent folding, "Look, we f***ed up the map!" he cracked a joke in "our language"; and we ended our journey with a good laugh!

     Although, the walking trip left me with a small wound on my ankle (my new shoes 'bit' me, LOL), but there is only one word to describe the whole journey - fulfilling!



     Now, I even enjoy walking more, it allows me to slow down in my life, smiling and talking to strangers on the road; teasing and patting the dogs or cats on the streets; or simply surprised by some buildings that I never notice they were there......

     I could never get all these via driving, and the feeling? AMAZING!

     If you are not a walking person, perhaps you should try it and I'm sure it's gonna change your perception about life and the things around you!

     Come, put on your shoes and let's walk!    

1 comment: